Job TitleSenior BuyerUnion LevelDepartmentController
CampusStocktonPosting Number201302098PFull or Part TimeFull
TimeNumber of Months12Work Schedule Work performed during standard
Position End DateOpen Date06/03/2020Close DateOpen Until
FilledYesSpecial Instructions to Applicants For first consideration
please apply before June 26, 2020.
Primary Purpose The Senior Buyer is responsible for the
logistical strategic procurement of University goods and services,
request for proposal (RFP/RFI/RFQ) processes, sourcing and vendor
qualification. Position requires high degree of experience with
contract negotiations, vendor relationship management, researching
and analyzing data in accord with University policy and procedures.
Position requires advanced Procurement knowledge and Project
Management expertise to recommend University-wide strategic
sourcing initiatives and contracts.
Position renewed annually.
Essential Functions 1.Responsible for the procurement lifecycle
for commodities of a technical and specialized nature that are
customized to meet the University’s needs and specifications; deals
directly with suppliers; independently negotiate contracts; and may
serve as a leader to support leadership, faculty, staff and
2.Identify new/existing cost containment opportunities through
institutional contracts to support revenue and expense responsible
3.Responsible for University-wide strategic sourcing
initiatives, bidding and sourcing. To include the solicitation of
prospective vendors using the University Request for
Proposal/Quotation/Information (RFP/Q/I) processes.
4.Identify and qualify strategic vendor partnerships for
institutional contract sourcing initiatives.
5.Performs advanced analysis to assess, monitor and report
trends related to supplier performance, transaction analysis, risk
analysis, contract pricing, strategic sourcing and operational
performance of University contracts, vendor relationships,
institutional spend and revenue generating opportunities.
6.Assist with contract creation and advise on contract
7.Maintain and develop internal partnerships across divisions
and at all campuses to maximize and leverage the value of
institutional contracts for Pacific.
8.Develop, test and maintain an array of University Procurement
systems and programs.
9.Provide training and support across all campuses for
University Procurement systems and programs overseen by Procurement
10.Execute strategic initiatives and/or projects as
Minimum Qualifications • Two (2) years post secondary
• Three (3) years experience in procurement.
• Knowledge of procurement practices and ethical business
• Written and verbal communication required at all levels within
• Demonstrative abilities presenting to various groups.
• Positive attitude, proven ability to work successfully with
diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promote and
enhance diversity and inclusion.
Preferred Qualifications • Bachelor’s degree in Business or
• Five (5) years in Procurement related field.
• Experience in Higher Education Procurement.
• Experience with Ellucian Banner.
• Certification from a Professional Purchasing organization.
• Purchasing experience that includes information technology
sourcing and service agreements, and/or bidding, sourcing and
regulatory compliance related to renovations, capital and
construction projects, and/or experience supporting athletic
programs and services with general knowledge of NCAA
• Effective professional interpersonal skills across all
• High degree of organizational planning, responsibility,
judgement and initiative.
• Knowledge of sales and use tax principles, uniform commercial
code regulations, federal and state compliance for regulatory
• Familiarity with accounting principles and practices
• High level of specialized knowledge of materials management
• Familiarity managing budgets.
• Intermediate to advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office
and emerging technologies.
• Ability to work independently to oversee critical deadlines
and competing priorities.
• Knowledge of business and project management principles and
• Strong customer service orientation.
Physical Requirements The physical demands described here are
representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this
job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Requires extended periods of sitting and repetitive hand/wrist
motion while using computer keyboard and phone. Occasional
standing, walking, walking across campus, climbing stairs, bending,
stooping and reaching. Occasional lifting up to 25 pounds.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel:
Work is primarily performed in a standard office environment.
Work performed during standard business hours. Some travel may be
Valid driver’s license required. Incumbent must also be able to
meet the University’s fleet rules and be eligible to drive for
University business. The University and its insurance carrier
reserves the right to exclude applicants based on their driving
Hiring RangeCommensurate with experience, non-exemptBackground
Check Statement All applicants who receive a conditional offer of
employment are required to execute a release and authorization for
a background screening.
AA/EEO Policy Statement University of the Pacific is an
affirmative action and equal opportunity employer dedicated to
workforce diversity. In compliance with applicable law and its own
policy, Pacific is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse
faculty and staff and does not discriminate in its hiring of
faculty and staff, or in the provision of its employment benefits
to its faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, religion,
national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender,
marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation,
medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression,
or mental or physical disability.
Posting Specific Questions Required fields are indicated with an
* Do you have at least two (2) years of post secondary
* Do you have at least three (3) years of experience in
* Do you have knowledge of procurement practices and ethical
business standards? Yes
* Are you able to write and verbally communicate in all levels
within the institution? Yes
* Do you have the ability to present to various groups? Yes
* Do you have a positive attitude, proven ability to work
successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment
to promote and enhance diversity and inclusion? Yes
* Are you currently excluded from participation in Medicare,
Medicaid or any other Federal health care program? Yes
* Have you received notice that you are under review for
possible exclusion from Medicare, Medicaid or any other Federal
health care program? Yes
* How did you first learn about this employment opportunity?
University of the Pacific Website
Association of American Colleges and Universities
Chronicle of HIgher Education
Diverse Issues in Higher Education
Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
Higher Education Recruitment Consortium - Northern California
Professional or Association Listserv
Publication or website from a professional organization
San Francisco Chronicle
Other Online Job Board
Applicant Documents Required Documents Resume
Cover Letter/Letter of Application
Optional Documents Other Document