Company: Superior Court of California, County of San Joaqui
Posted on: May 3, 2021
We are now accepting applications for Legal Research
Under general direction, incumbents perform various routine to
complex professional legal services and provide assistance and
advice to San Joaquin Superior Court Judges and the Court related
to both civil and criminal cases; conduct legal research and
provide legal consultation for Court judicial officers and staff;
review court documents and filings for compliance with legal
mandates; and perform related work as assigned. This position
receives general direction from the Legal Research Attorney
Supervisor and exercises no direct supervision over staff. This is
a journey level professional attorney classification responsible
for performing legal research, preparing tentative decisions and
rulings and assisting judges in researching and resolving legal
questions. This class is distinguished from the Legal Research
Attorney Supervisor by the latters full supervisory authority in
the legal research area, organizing and overseeing day-to-day legal
- Performs legal research, identifies and analyzes legal and
factual issues presented to the Court by litigants under state and
federal case law, statutes, ordinances and regulations; drafts
advisory memoranda and recommendations, findings, judgments and
- Reviews Demurrers, Motions to Strike, Motions for Judgment on
the Pleadings and Anti-SLAPP Motions, Oppositions and Reply Briefs;
analyzes and summarizes arguments and evidence submitted by
attorneys and independently researches and identifies legal issues
necessary to provide recommendations to the Court.
- Reviews Motions for Summary Judgment and Adjudication,
Oppositions and Reply Briefs; summarizes and analyzes arguments and
evidence submitted by attorneys
- Prepares recommendations on written evidentiary objections and
requests for judicial notice.
- Attends hearings, prepares supplemental analysis and drafts
- Reviews and assess petitions for Writs of Habeas Corpus,
Mandate and Coram Nobis; provides recommendations to the
- Reviews and assesses appeals and responses to the Appellate
Division of the Superior Court, including factual and procedural
history of cases; analyzes legal points to provide recommendations
to Appellate Division.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of experience and education/training that would
likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying.
A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Equivalent to possession of a Juris Doctorate degree from an
accredited school of law, and five (5) years of increasingly
responsible experience in the practice of law.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California Drivers
License by time of appointment.
- Possession of a California State Bar license.
- Legal principles, issues, and practices, including specific
government operations and relevant legal issues.
- Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, regulatory codes,
ordinances, and procedures including California Rules of Court,
other California codes and court rules.
- Court procedures and rules of evidence.
- Methods of legal research, including computer research.
- Principles and practices of data collection and report
- Business mathematics and basic statistical techniques.
- Record-keeping principles and procedures.
- Modern office practices, methods, and computer equipment and
applications related to the work.
- English usage, grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and
- Analyze legal principles and precedents and apply them to
complex legal and administrative problems.
- Conduct research on legal problems and prepare sound legal
- Prepare accurate and effective reports, policies, procedures,
and other written materials.
- Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project
consequences of proposed actions, and implement recommendations in
support of goals.
- Identify potentially relevant or dispositive issues not
addressed by parties and analyze them.
- Present statements of fact, law and argument clearly and
logically in written and oral form.
- Draft findings, opinions and ruling(s).
- Research, analyze, interpret and understand conflicting
statutory, Constitutional and case law.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Work well under pressure and complete projects for
- Write accurate and well-analyzed opinions for the Court which
may be relied upon and used by the Appellate and Supreme Courts in
decisions which determine new law.
- Organize and prioritize a variety of projects and multiple
tasks in an effective and timely manner; organize own work, set
priorities, and meet critical time deadlines.
- Operate office equipment and computer applications related to
- Use English effectively to communicate in person, over the
telephone, and in writing.
- Use tact, initiative, prudence, and independent judgment within
general policy and legal guidelines in politically sensitive
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working
relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use
standard office equipment, vision to read printed materials and a
computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person,
before groups, and over the telephone. This is primarily a
sedentary office classification although standing and walking
between work areas may be required. Finger dexterity is needed to
access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard, or
calculator and to operate standard office equipment. Positions in
this classification occasionally bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push,
and pull drawers open and closed to retrieve and file
Employees work in an office environment with moderate noise levels,
controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to
hazardous physical substances. Employees may interact with upset
staff and/or public and private representatives in interpreting and
enforcing departmental policies and procedures.
Keywords: Superior Court of California, County of San Joaqui, Stockton , Research Attorney, Other , stockton, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!